These forums are an Archive of the Live Forums at biodieseldiscussion.com on 11/26/2008.
These Archive Forums are read only. New registrations and posts are not allowed. To participate in live forums go Here

Go Back   Biodiesel & SVO Discussion Forums Archive - Live Forums at biodieseldiscussion.com > Biodiesel > Cold Weather Biodiesel

Cold Weather Biodiesel Description

Old 11-25-2008, 09:15 PM

started making Biodiesel in June 2008 and have been running B100 all summer and fall (about 4,000 miles). My 2001 GMC Sierra Duramax Allison truck seems to love the stuff. It ran great all year. Here in NJ it just started getting cold. I'm afraid I missed my window of opportunity to add petrodiesel. It never even hesitated before, but now my truck really won't start. It'll crank just fine, but not starting. I've removed (and replaced) the filter. Prior to replacing it, I filled it with 50% diesel and 50% Diesel 911 additive. I also put 5 gallons of petrodiesel and 16oz of diesel 911 into the tank on top of the 12-20 gallons of biodiesel that are in there. I did this 2 days ago, but it was still pretty cold then (24 degrees at night). The truck wouldn't start then and now it was up to about 48 degrees today and it still won't start. Did I seriously mess something up? What can I do? Thanks- Glen
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 PM

Ive had this happen before because the filter would freeze at night, during the day it would get to 50 or so, the filter wouldnt seem to "unfreeze". My truck has 2 filters does yours? Did you remove any fuel lines? I also had this problem, removed fuel lines, had a small pin hole leak from the clamp and wouldnt start. The fuel pump was just pulling air. Is there a way to tell if your truck is getting fuel up by the motor/injectors?

Running B100
Old 11-25-2008, 10:23 PM

I waited too long also. My truck still runs but I need a fuel filter change. I'll do it tomorrow. I threw a p0087 (low fuel rail pressure) I'm about b-40 right now but if I floor it I can feel it wanting more fuel.

Glenn, did you loosen the bleeder screw and prime the pump till fuel came out?

Ed

2005 Sprinter Work Van

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q...s05-008019.jpg
Old 11-26-2008, 01:03 AM

I can't really tell if the injectors are receiving any fuel, but I did change the fuel filter (the first was gelled solid!) and filled a new one with diesel and additive (911) and pumped the primer. Fuel shot out after 1-2 pumps (usually takes alot more than that). So I'm thinking the fuel line from the filter to the engine are gelled?
Old 11-26-2008, 04:42 AM

Can you get the pickup into the garage, and bring up the temperature?

You might be able to make fuel line heaters. There was a discussion earlier about using stainless steel wire and teflon

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/15960555...581045172#3581045172

I got some stainless welding wire and the teflon, but haven't put it together yet.

I suppose another alternative would be to take it all apart, use compressed air or something to blow it all out, then put everything back together and prime.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:34 AM

I wish I could get it into the garage, but I don't think it would physically fit in. Someone gave me the advice of putting an electric blanket on the engine overnight. At least that might get the gelled fuel in the lines to be liquid again. The tank should be somewhat ok again, since I put in regular diesel and additive, but I would also think a little driving around to mix things up a bit would help.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:55 AM

This would be a good time to install a plug-in engine heater like a lower rad hose heater [the easiest] or a block heater. I have a 80W 'battery blanket' across the injectors, and an 85W heater wrapped around the fuel filter. Being able to preheat the engine and fuel system ensures easy starts, and quicker warm-up, regardless of how cold it gets.
Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM

John Galt, what kind of heaters did you buy and where from? I am looking to do this to my pickup as well. thanks

Running B100