These forums are an Archive of the Live Forums at biodieseldiscussion.com on 11/26/2008.
These Archive Forums are read only. New registrations and posts are not allowed. To participate in live forums go Here

Go Back   Biodiesel & SVO Discussion Forums Archive - Live Forums at biodieseldiscussion.com > Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) as Fuel > Single Tank Systems

Single Tank Systems Description

Old 08-30-2008, 05:12 AM

Alright. If you run a single tank please list your specs in this thread. Include where you live, type of car, type of conversion kit used and anything else you think is applicable.

I will start

I have a single tank on an 85 Mercedes 300d turbo. I installed the Plant Drive 5 micron heated fuel filter and vegtherm inline fuel heaters. I live in northern NJ. I have run 2500 miles on this system and have yet to see a winter with it, I am looking forward to experimenting with different fuels in the winter and putting the block heater and pad heater to good use. I also intend to install a FPHE before the fall.
Old 08-30-2008, 05:29 AM

You may consider adding 50% kerosine or ULSD to your veggie in the cold months (oct 15- feb 01).
Old 09-02-2008, 06:16 PM

Just see my sig!
Old 09-02-2008, 08:37 PM

1985 Benz 300D, 100%-85%VO depending on outside temps, Central FL, FPHE and Injector line heaters, 4 years and still running well. For sale, too, if anyone's interested.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:27 PM

83 300sd and 82 300tdt single tank filtered wvo in So Fl. approx 30,000 plus miles no heat no mods on the mercedes just clean oil with a 80/20 mix of kero. When it gets real cold I up the mix to 30%kero. I have also used jet fuel and just plain diesel to mix. All my tanks have been taken out and steamed at a radiator repair shop. Port St. Lucie
Old 09-03-2008, 03:14 PM

1994 Toyota Land Cruiser with a GM 6.2 diesel. Approximately 5,000 miles on WVO blend. My set-up is as follows:
Tractor Supply screen strainer as a pre-filter, Raptor fuel pump, HOH fuel line, Grease Kings heated fuel filter, Fuel pressure Gauge.
I also have injector line heaters I am not using yet, I will wait to see if I need them this winter.
My blend is constantly changing, I started using about a 70WVO/20Diesel/10RUG but starting developing a vapor lock problem (I think) so I removed the RUG. I now run just a 70WVO/30diesel. My plan is to start adding RUg again when the weather gets cooler, I installed a clear fuel line after the filter so I will be able to tell what is going on now.
Rusty
Old 09-06-2008, 04:37 PM

Nice to see we s-t's finally get our own sub-forum. Although it appears the definition of s-t includes heated AND unheated systems. :/

VW TDI with Elsbett single Tank in Connecticut.
Outside temps as low as 5*F. 'Stock' Elsbett except TDIHeater installed, 1500Watt, AC powered.

Just had the cylinder head off and it looked good at 84,000 SVO miles:
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=414
Old 10-05-2008, 10:16 PM

99 Jetta TDI with Elsbett s/t conversion: modified injectors, heated filters, fuel/coolant heat transfer box, and who-knows-what else...

I'm still learning what all the car contains, as I bought it already converted. I bought a "gem" then found out that it was a lemon, so I'm working to make it back into the gem that it outta' be.

I'll be searching the forums for more info, and asking LOTS of questions.

Dan
Old 10-07-2008, 04:37 PM

79 k5 Blazer w/ 6.2L GM diesel
33 gallon plastic tank
1/2" pickup and main line to Racor 1000 filter modified to go 160 degrees
4 fatty wagon IP line heaters
going to operate all heaters on a remote so I can start them 1 -2 minutes before hitting the glowplugs and starting.
going to adjust preheat timing to outside temp and watch my fuel temp gauge on the return line to make sure that temp comes up rapidly as possible.
<--- mainly hoping the fuel pumps survive
haven't started on WVO yet, finishing centrifuge rig.
planning to run 10%diesel most months in Texas, 20% blend in the winter 3 months. May need some block heaters too for those colder days.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:06 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 1984 300D w/ Turbo. I live in Mid-Michigan and am happy to finally find a group that has people outside of Florida and California participating. I am going to try and burn 30%DSL w/ 70% WVO in a single tank setup by installing fuel injection line heaters, heated fuel filter and boost pump. I will keep you all posted as to how it goes. Anyone else burning veggie in a cold climate with a single tank setup, please contribute.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:05 PM

Hi Mich

Welcome! You really must have a flat plate heat exchanger. Please post about the heated filter you are considering before you get it, it could save you grief.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:28 AM

I am in about the same situation as Michigan300D. I live near Cleveland, Ohio, have a stock 84 300SD, and would like to run single tank. I am new at this and haven't tried to run UCO when it's 20 degrees outside, But I do have a jar of UCO sitting in my freezer and I'm wondering how I'm going to get that stuff through a 5 micron filter.

By the way, thanks all for this wonderful site. I think we can make progress for the whole country in getting off the energy grid and making our country strong again.

I am considering a Stanadyne 100 filter for $60 from TheDieselStore.com, a $55 150 Watt electric heater insert accessory, then wrapping the filter with a copper coil for coolant heat, plus insulation, then an outer wrap. Then I should have heat for start up, plus free coolant heat for cruising. In addition to this injector line heaters, FPHE, an inline fuel pump, and whatever else it takes to keep the fuel flowing.

Any advice much appreciated.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:45 AM

I like BMWfan's heated fuel filter a lot. It has both electric heat (pulls 25 amps!) and coolant, with an automated switch available. Nothing else like it on the market that I have seen. Injector line heaters can help, and the block heater is really big. Blending in colder weather is essential.

But both Michigan and Jmark, you guys need to make sure that you have run a complete (and successful) compression check, upgrade your glow plugs to the newer and longer models and glow plug relays to allow a longer burn, and make absolutely certain that your injectors are all fully functional and set to maximum spec pop pressure. See Sunwizard's post on injectors. Once your engine is fully up to spec in these regards, advance your injection timing by 3-4 degrees. These things will optimize your car for running vegoil. Changing your lube oil more frequently, testing it periodically (blackstone labs), and switching to non-petroleum based synthetic lube oil is also important to long term health.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanks for all the response. It's good to see that kind of input. I did not mention that I am planning on making my own coolant type heat exchanger. I will stay in touch as I go. I have two other questions for you guys.
1) Last night while driving home, my Tach, Fuel guage and Temp guage all quit at the same time. I have not had the time to look into what happened, but is there any ideas out there?
2) Where can I find a Fuse Box Gasket for my '84 300d?
Thanks,
Talk to you all soon.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 AM

Hi Michigan,

I would go to MercedesShop.com. They have I think about 40 Mercedes Technitions online with excellent advice, and a parts division also.

Thanks 240volvo. I am looking into that filter and taking other advice also.

Stock 84 300SD
Old 10-23-2008, 03:50 AM

I like the filter heater 240volvo has linked to.

I sell similar without the temp sensor port. Have to screw the sensor into the head or have the heater switched with an extended afterglow period.

www.obed.org.uk Open Biofuel Engine Development - Collaborative biofuel engine tuning.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:20 AM

When you say "single tank" do you mean with or without using solvents like D1, kerosene, or RUG?
Old 10-23-2008, 04:40 AM

I should have posted -

I run a 1999 Skoda Octavia Tdi (Based on VW golf platform) single tank.

I have modified the ECU engine and glowplug control to suit the use of pure vegetable oil.

I've also added larger diameter fuel lines, a flat plate heat exchanger before the filter and a filter with electric heater.

I've also got a Mercedes 310D tipping truck (max 3.5 tonne laden, 2.9 litre engine) that I run single tank with heavy duty glow plugs that also stick further into the engine and extended after glow plug period.

And a LandRover S III with Mercedes 300D engine (OM617) that I used to run single tank (off the road due to a crash) with fuel heaters and heavy duty glow plugs with long afterglow period.

I've also got a VW LT35 2.5Tdi soon to be converted using similar method to the Skoda.

All run single tank (the LandRover does have a fully heated twin tank system to allow the use of fats) and generally I use new rapeseed oil.

Skoda yet to go through a winter.

I'm located south east England.

LandRover and Mercedes will be sold soon (I hope.....)

www.obed.org.uk Open Biofuel Engine Development - Collaborative biofuel engine tuning.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:03 PM

I run a Plant-drive Vormax and Veggie-Therm on a 82 240d 4-speed with a 300D motor...We had our first below freezing nights here in quite some time and it works great....(South Miss)

One tank, just filtered used fry oil, starts and runs fine...

I should add I did not increase the size of the fuel lines from the tank as recommended...Have not needed to so far, and I am lazy....(Sorry Craig Reese!).....

I would like to add that I have a very good supply of fry oil that is rather clean to start off with, so that helps I am sure.....Not too many food bits in there, and I gravity filter in felt bags twice before I pump it into the “Veggie-Hoopty” (as my daughter likes to call it)......It looks like really strong ice tea, very dark but not opaque….