These forums are an Archive of the Live Forums at biodieseldiscussion.com on 11/26/2008.
These Archive Forums are read only. New registrations and posts are not allowed. To participate in live forums go Here

Go Back   Biodiesel & SVO Discussion Forums Archive - Live Forums at biodieseldiscussion.com > Biodiesel > Making Biodiesel

Making Biodiesel Description

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM

please include what formula you use..

base amount
titration amount
methanol amount
could you be loosing methanol during processing
Old 11-26-2008, 09:28 PM

At this time I have to admit I am a bit frustrated and any one's input would be welcomed. I am having an issue that is causing my full batches to turn to gel. I know that water can cause this however, before I process I run a water test and I have machines that take the water out of the oil, so I don't think water is my problem. I am using NaOh and oil that usually titrates about 4-6. When i brew a batch first i get the oil up to temp and mix my methoxide. Then I inject the methoxide into my cone bottom processor at a slow rate (for a 250 batch it usually takes about 30-40 min). As i am injecting I can see a reaction start to happen. The oil turns from a blackish to a lighter tan color and then turns back to tan again soon after the injection is over. I let it circulate the usual 2 hours and when I am done I take my sample. The past 3 batches I’ve done have all turned into this gel and I am in dire need of some help. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:38 PM

I also wanted to add that before I process these batches, I always do a mini reaction using 1 liter of the oil i am about to process. This mini batch always turns out with no issue.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 PM

residual water or gly in your lines maybe??
You mentioned it "usually" tritrates..etc
Do you titrate each batch?