View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 PM

Does "small scale" mean just a few gallons a month or a few HUNDRED gallons a month?

A general web search for "make your own fuel" or "make E85 fuel" will find a lot of info.

This links to an old website about making ethanol for E85 fuel, it has a lot of interesting info but the originator of the page died a few years ago so it is not totally current.

Unfortunatly, this venture will likely be pretty labor intensive if using basic concepts. I Have seen basic legal commercial wisky stills that consist of nothing more than a couple of 10,000 gallon open topped steel tanks, vat strainers and filtering setup, pumps, old fire hose for plumbing, and a basic still.

Many local beer breweries give free tours of there breweries, these tours have given me many ideas into how those already producing ethanol have approached the process, the free beer tasting is a plus.

For any reasonable amount of ethanol production you are going to need a bit of space as you will have to mash at least 10 times as much fermentation fluid as the amount of ethanol you wish to produce. You are also going to have a LOT of yeast and left over feedstock glop to get rid of. My 5 gallon glass carboys of home brewed beer, wine, and mead produce a 2-3 inch deep layer of yeast, fermenting a few hundred gallons will grow a lot of yeast.

To start - It may be more conveniant to visit all your local pubs and such, even brewries. Collect all the waste drinks they pour out into there bar sink, or the couple gallons of old beer that gets dumped out of each returning beer keg. This would allow you to concentrate on the distillation of the ethanol rather than the fermentation.

What legal restrictions to distilling alcohol are in place in Ireland, Last I checked, here in the US we are restricted to less than 5000 gallons alcohol per year as hobby fuel distillers.