PDA

View Full Version : Safe lye to use?

gulfy
07-23-2008, 01:08 AM
I am about to make my first test batch of biodiesel. I plan to take tilly's advice and use the Dr. Pepper method as it seems to be the best I've found. I've read as much on the forums as I can about processing and the things to look out for. My question is that I purchased a can of lye/NaOh and it says on the label 100%, but when I opened the container I notice a lot of small dark blue specks that do not appear to be lye crystals. I have read that the 100% lye should appear as all white crystals. Have I missed something or is this lye safe to use?

Also I really want to thank Saint Tilly for all of the helpful info about the Dr. Pepper method. As a beginner, I have read many methods on the web about making your first test batched and for what its worth, Tilly's really makes it simple to understand and complete successfully. thanks again to all..

gulfy
07-23-2008, 01:08 AM
I am about to make my first test batch of biodiesel. I plan to take tilly's advice and use the Dr. Pepper method as it seems to be the best I've found. I've read as much on the forums as I can about processing and the things to look out for. My question is that I purchased a can of lye/NaOh and it says on the label 100%, but when I opened the container I notice a lot of small dark blue specks that do not appear to be lye crystals. I have read that the 100% lye should appear as all white crystals. Have I missed something or is this lye safe to use?

Also I really want to thank Saint Tilly for all of the helpful info about the Dr. Pepper method. As a beginner, I have read many methods on the web about making your first test batched and for what its worth, Tilly's really makes it simple to understand and complete successfully. thanks again to all..

Tilly
07-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Hello gulfy, thank you for the kind remarks.

What brand of NaOH did you buy?

gulfy
07-23-2008, 02:08 AM
Hi Tilly, thanks for the fast reply. The brand is "Drain Out" made by Iron Out inc. It says "100% dry sodium hydroxide-caustic soda on the back label. On the front label it says:
"Drain Out"--Crystal Clog Remover. But on the inside of the container it has small white crystals and then some tiny black specks about the size of a grain of salt. I've seen the old "red devil" lye and it way all white crystals..

Just don't want to foul up my first batch. Thanks again...

Legal Eagle
07-23-2008, 02:16 AM
Probably a take off from Drano, which is NOT 100%.
Reobic crystal drain opener, on the other hand, IS 100% and can be found at places like Lowes ect.

gulfy
07-23-2008, 02:21 AM
Thanks Legal Eagle, I think I will put that aside and make a trip to lowes and find the stuff you have mentioned. Thanks for the info..

Tilly
07-23-2008, 02:37 AM
Hello gulfy

According to this MSDS (http://www.summitbrands.com/retail_support/downloads/MSDS/US%20MSDS/MSDS%20Drain%20Out%20Crystal.pdf)

Drain out Crystal Drain Cleaner is;
Aluminum cuttings Mixture 1-5%
Sodium hydroxide 30-60%
Sodium nitrate 15-40%

cfunderburg
07-23-2008, 02:58 AM
Those aluminum cuttings will destory the impeller on the blue water pump. Trust me... I know.

gulfy
07-23-2008, 03:06 AM
Wow Tilly, thats a long way from 100%. Guess thats what I get for buying an off brand. But I really want to thank you. You have saved me a big headach..thanks again..

cfunderburg, Thanks. I sure don't want that. That must be what the dark grains are..I'm going to set that stuff on the shelf. Thanks again to all, yall have been a big help...