PDA

View Full Version : 7.3 Powerstroke 2001 E350

vegoilbenz
06-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience running B100 on a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke. Or does anyone know if the fuel lines, o-rings, etc, are compatible with B100? I'm about to start making bio for the startup on my '84 WVO Mercedes. I'd like to use bio on the E350 without an expensive drop-out-the-engine repair. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David

vegoilbenz
06-25-2008, 03:21 AM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any experience running B100 on a 2001 7.3 Powerstroke. Or does anyone know if the fuel lines, o-rings, etc, are compatible with B100? I'm about to start making bio for the startup on my '84 WVO Mercedes. I'd like to use bio on the E350 without an expensive drop-out-the-engine repair. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, David

FC
06-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I have a 00' Excursion w/ a 7.3L Powerstroke. Basically same engine as yours. Being using B100 for the last 6 mos. No Problem!!(knocking on wood just in case....) http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

51fitter
07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
I've got a 02 7.3 it loves bio my son is a certified ford mecahnic he said the people who have been having the problems are the ones who try to use straight wvo it cokes up the motor which leads to it's dimise

imported_hutch56
07-21-2008, 11:49 AM
Any of you guys running "UNWASHED" biodiesel? I have a 1995 and a 1997 E350 vans both with 7.3 PS engines that run great on washed fuel, washing is so time consuming, wanting to switch over to unwashed fuel if possible.

51fitter
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM
I won't use anything but good quality Biodiesel I've seen the results of the experiments that come into my sons shop.I think it's great that people have a pioneering spirit but Those motors won't tolerate junk. The injectors are $500. ea. and there are 8 of them do the math. The other thing is I had a friend of mine lose 3 injectors from a fouled fuel filter. You must maintane proper fuel pressure. The safest and easiest way is with a fuel pressure gauge this will let you know if your filter is fouling. And if it is starting to foul chances are you can fix it before your stuck on the side of the road. I have detailed info on this for 7.3 setups and 6.0 it's really not hard and it's money well spent if you consider saving just one injector pays for the gauge with money left over.

vegoilbenz
07-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Is the detailed info on how to install the pressure gauge? What does it cost to do this?
Thanks

51fitter
07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
The gauge is about $200. and if you can't dash mount it you have to get the mounting cup that's about $15.If you are using it in a 7.3 the procedure is a little different from a 6.0. the 6.0 requires you buy a special ford adapter. I have all the details for each motor but I can only provide it in private messaging if you have a lot of questions the answers could get lengthy. Also the 6.0 ford adapter can only be had thru ford and it's an additional $46.Let me know if you want to continue I don't mind walking you thru it.

Jim Smetona
07-23-2008, 01:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 51fitter:
I've got a 02 7.3 it loves bio my son is a certified ford mecahnic he said the people who have been having the problems are the ones who try to use straight wvo it cokes up the motor which leads to it's dimise </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have the same truck as mentioned above and have been running my own homebrew and svo for over 60k miles with no ill affects. I think it is in the system you use and the risk you are willing to take. Remember that running homemade fuel and used vegetable oil is somewhat experimental.

51fitter
07-26-2008, 12:08 PM
I agree about the exprimental part and in many cases the public at large is the guinea pig weather we are willing participants or not.And in one case the truck had extensive mileage as you do, when it finally went belly up. When the guys took the heads off it was a mess. Have you looked inside your cylinders, or checked your valves to see how things are going in there? I'm not trying to talk anyone out of doing anything, I'm just passing along our findings. You may deal with your one truck, our shop deals with many. I'm hoping our findings are helpfull for everyone so we can all get something out of this collectivly.Good luck maybe your onto something other guys have missed!

imported_choirox
08-16-2008, 03:25 AM
As a fellow 7.3 01 powerstroke owner lemme tell ya. You may need to concern yourself with your fuel strainer inside your tank. I ran a few hundred gallons of my B100 last year and had a "starved for fuel" shutdown. After 21 codes on the electronic gizwhizery and $1180.00 worth of parts replacing, I decided to replace the lift pump. The instructions required replacement of the fuel tank strainer. So...my son and I dropped the tank and wow! My B100 had eaten away what looked to be a rubber seal on the strainer and my fuel line sucked up some gel crap, and THAT was my problem. Please check your fuel flow to the lift pump before replacing all the friggin sensors. You will certainly save yourself some hassle and expense.

imported_choirox
08-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Hutch56-I have been running unwashed bio for approx. 1.5 years in my 7.3, and have owned a benz for a couple of months. I strain the WVO through a basket collander, then I pump it into my processor through a 50 mesh and 30 mesh chemical strainer (banjo brand) I do a quantitative water test on the oil to insure low to no water accumulation. Then goldenrod particle filer, AND goldenrod water filter from the processor into my tank! Alright I've been so far!! Best to ya!

imported_hutch56
08-27-2008, 03:31 PM
Choirox, Thanks for the response, I am doing similar filtering before it goes into my tank. I think I will start running unwashed fuel in my 7.3 and save the washed fuel for the VW TDI

Anybody else running unwashed fuel in 7.3 PSD??